Getting dinner on the table each night can be a hassle when you have a robust schedule, but this simple hamburger stroganoff is an easy recipe you can whip up in jiff.
Beef stroganoff is a creamy pasta dish that originated in Russia. Fun fact: it was originally flavored with mustard. The recipe below doesn’t include the tangy yellow sauce and instead uses sour cream and cream of mushroom soup. Keep reading for the full recipe.
Hamburger Stroganoff Ingredients
- 1 1/2 pounds of ground beef
- 1/2 cup of chopped onions
- Dash of garlic salt
- 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of beef broth
- 1 can (10 3/4 ounces) of condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 can (4 1/2 ounces) of mushrooms, drained
- 1 cup sour cream
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Cooked noodles or rice
- Chopped fresh parsley
Hamburger Stroganoff Instructions
- In a medium skillet, brown the beef over medium heat, breaking it into crumbles. This step normally take five to seven minutes.
- Next, add onions and garlic salt to the beef, then cook it until the onions have softened.
- Stir in the flour. Cook for a n additional 2-3 minutes.
- Add beef broth, condensed soup, and mushrooms. Reduce the heat and simmer for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Gently fold in sour cream and remove from heat once it is warm.
- Serve over cooked rice or noodles and top with parley if desired.
Hamburger Stroganoff Substitution Tips
If your prepping your ingredients for this delicious hamburger stroganoff and you notice you’re missing a few ingredients don’t panic. You might still be able to pull it off with a few substitutions. For instance, if you don’t have sour cream, use plain Greek yogurt. For beef broth you can substitute water. Finally, if you check your pantry for cream of mushroom soup and realize that you don’t have any, cream of chicken, celery, or potato are easy replacements.
You might also like: Feast With Family At El Jalisco
Hamburger Stroganoff Storage Tips
If you make a big batch of hamburger stroganoff, it will keep in the refrigerator for up to three days when it’s stored in an airtight container. You can also freeze this dish for up to three months.
Disclaimer: The stock image is being used for illustrative purposes only, and it is not a direct representation of the business, recipe, or activity listed. Any person depicted in the stock image is a model.